About A Dog Photography. Dog photography. The photography of dogs.
Specifically the photography of your dog!


Based in St. Cloud, Minnesota and available to travel to wherever you and your dog are - including the Twin Cites, the North Shore, southern Minnesota...
heck if you're going to Hawaii I'll join you for an exotic beach session!

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Tri County Tuesday!



Hooray for Tuesdays! I get to have the day free for prepping as well as hanging out with the gang, then off to Tri County Humane Society to snag pictures of all the dogs and cats who need homes. Honestly I would be out there every day minus that it is volunteer work, so my dogs would have to get paying jobs themselves... Not sure they would be fond of that!

Yesterday panned out to be a wonderful day! We've been having cold icky weather for far too long (and I heard word of more...!) which makes it hard to want to be outside. Yesterday started gloomy, then the sun broke through the clouds and everything was warm and springy! Wouldn't have asked for a better day!

There weren't many cats or dogs who needed pictures so my list was fairly short. First up was a yappy female min pin named Tasha. She walked well on a leash and was cute as a button! Before the day was out she was scooped up and on her way to a new home!



Next up was a 2nd min pin, named Gator. Gator had been photographed when he had arrived, but for some reason nobody was interested in adopting him. So I snagged him for retakes outside. Holy energy! Good thing he was a little guy because he pulled and strained at the leash and would have drug me all over the yard had he been bigger! The only thing that got him to stop moving? Hotdogs! (My new secret weapon!) Like Tasha, he too was adopted before the end of the day!

The next up was the awesome Kaiser! This guy is big and a barker, so many people were passing him by. I had photographed him back when he was first at Tri County, and in an attempt to generate some new pictures and new interest, I decided I was going to retake his pictures. He was drool worthy cute, though he did bark at me when I wouldn't throw the ball ASAP! I believe has been adopted as I write this as he is no longer on Tri County's website. Hooray!
Prior to the retakes, I designed a Facebook highlight for Kaiser. 



Heartbreaker was the next in line for pictures, and as cute as a button she was, that girl was all puppy! She wanted to bounce around and wrap herself around me, so I employed the duel leash maneuver. There is a set of leashes tied to two of the pines where I usually snag the pictures. During the duel leash maneuver I will clip the dog to the tree tied leash as well as the leash I've walked them on. Viola! Two points of control for those super bouncy dogs!
Stopped for a couple of quick shots of a little tank of a boson terrier who wanted to show off her belly (more on her shortly) then into the cat room to visit the kitties! Brienne was the first I photographed. She is a slender tabby who is very playful and has extra toes! It took a little for her to warm up to me, but when she did I managed to snag some cute and playful pictures of her!


Josie was next up. She happened to be on top of her "bunk" in the top kennel in the cat room. I'm not short by any means, but when the cats are bigger than kittens and on their bunk its super hard to pull them out without messing up the whole kennel. So I will often take pictures of those cats in their kennels. Josie is an interactive kitty and would talk to me as I pet her!



Maddy and Gold were both newcomers and hiding in their litter boxes. Since there were red cards on each of their kennels, I wasn't able to take either one out. Maddy is in the top picture, Gold in the bottom one. 




The last cat who needed pictures was Pooky. His sister Blanch had good pictures already, so I snagged the lug (he was a hefty kitty) and brought him down to the everything room. He wasn't a fan of being away from his sister, but he humored me and my camera. 
All said and done... but not quite! Kim asked me to snag some pictures of Drake, while Marit asked if I could get some food aggression testing pictures. No problem!

Drake was an older lab who enjoyed sniffing everything. He was fairly calm on his leash, but maintaining his eye contact with me and the camera was a challenge. I think it worked out in the end. 
For the food aggression test, they use a faux hand to pet and interact with dogs to rate their food aggression levels. Luckily they were planning on testing one of the dogs when I asked. And even better? It was the little tank of a boston terrier, Vixen! I went a little snap happy with pictures of her before her test. Who can resist a mug like this?!









No comments:

Post a Comment