About A Dog Photography. Dog photography. The photography of dogs.
Specifically the photography of your dog!


Based in St. Cloud, Minnesota and available to travel to wherever you and your dog are - including the Twin Cites, the North Shore, southern Minnesota...
heck if you're going to Hawaii I'll join you for an exotic beach session!

Monday, February 11, 2013

Snow, Collars and Willmar Humane Society!

So much has happened since the last time I wrote, so bear with me if this gets a little lengthy!

•••
First things first - ZOMBIE COLLARS!!! These are the coolest, most awesome dog collars ever! Now prior to getting the collars was the worst waiting period ever. Lisa at Josa Bloom (who hand creates unique cute dog collars) had come across some zombie fabric. And I being the zombie lover I am promptly stated to sign me up for three of them! She and I decided to do a trade - with me photographing a collection of collars and the zombie collars would be my payment. Probably the best trade system around! Not only do I get zombie collars, I get to photograph the other super cute collars she sent too! So that was the easy part. The waiting for the shipping was the worst! The collars were coming out of Colorado where Josa Bloom is based and I had no idea what the zombie collars were going to look like. So I waited, and waited. And waited. Finally there was a white priority box in my entryway! Happy dance, happy dance time!!!

Here are the zombie collars!! The top one with green on the edges and back is Mick's, the middle with the blue is Axle's and the bottom one is Icey's girlie collar with zombies!
 
And since there were new collars to wear it means its time for a photoshoot! It was cold and chilly, with a dusting of new snow. The dogs and I revisited the half abandoned grain company, this time armed with treats - which didn't help capture the dog's attention at all!
•••
I love getting out and photographing the gang! Later in the evening, as I was munching on radishes I managed to "break" my permanent retainer - basically because the radish was so crunchy it put too much pressure on the wire causing it to snap out of the concrete that was holding it in place. Which meant I needed to make a trip to my orthodontist in Willmar, MN. So Friday rolled around, attended my appointment (eww new concrete taste!) then afterwards headed to Hawk Creek Humane Society.

Wonderful, clean shelter with a good handful of animals who need homes. Earlier in the week I had had some communication about volunteering my photography skills, but they already had a photographer who was going to be part of the staff. Doesn't mean I still didn't snag some pictures of the animals!

My personal favorite was Bender, the cute as a button pittie! He was very smiley, and a happy go lucky guy with a love for his blue half destroyed chew toy that he would fetch, tail wagging away!

The second favorite dog of the day was Dax. He was a crazy bundle of energy and derpyness. He was a rottweiler shepherd mix and carried traits of both parents. He was a snuggler, so eye level shots were mostly out of the question as he wanted to eat my camera as well as pounce on me!
There were a handful of other dogs, but I didn't stop to snag any pictures of them as I was starting to miss my dogs at home! On the way out the cat rooms caught my eye, so I popped into one. There are 3 different cat rooms at Hawk Creek - two are free roaming rooms where cats that get along are able to lounge on a window or ledge or interact with the other cats in the room. There is also a standard kennel room with cats in it. I visited both cat rooms, but only was able to snap pictures of the first gang.

The cat room residents; Bells, Molly, Chloe, Irina, Butter Rum and Butter Rum's toes.
•••
Onward with the adventure! I mentioned waaaay above at the beginning of this post that I was doing a trade with Lisa at Josa Bloom for photography of her collars. I hadn't gotten around to shooting pictures of the sushi collars, mustache, classic car collars or the rockabilly set (collar and leash - kind of want a zombie leash....). The other day I loaded up the dogs and we wandered around town searching for the perfect backdrops. Mick and Axle were the lucky models as Icey's neck is on the big side - she's fluffy for the winter! Scouted out some old cars as well, though they didn't photograph nearly as the way I could see them in my head.
•••
Yesterday a big beautiful baby blizzard (called Nemo) breezed through central Minnesota and dropped a solid 6 inches plus of fluffy white snow. Naturally it was so pretty and inviting that I had to snag my camera and let the dogs play in it!

This is a before and after shot of Icey in her snow camo!
•••
Another bit of news ~ ebay finally let me pay for a Tamron 17-55 f2.8 lens that I bought on Friday. It should be here on the 14th or 15th! Super excited!!! Stay tuned for more collar pictures as well as pictures from the humane society tomorrow!

And once more apologies for the long writing, but there was so much to share from the last time I wrote!

No comments:

Post a Comment