About A Dog Photography. Dog photography. The photography of dogs.
Specifically the photography of your dog!


Based in St. Cloud, Minnesota and available to travel to wherever you and your dog are - including the Twin Cites, the North Shore, southern Minnesota...
heck if you're going to Hawaii I'll join you for an exotic beach session!

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Interview and Lenses

Good news! I had an interview with Tri County Humane Society on Thursday... and I will be volunteering on Tuesdays from 4-6pm! Hooray! It will be both photography as well as working with the animals. I'm super excited to start, though I need to have an orientation before I do. February is the next orientation I believe. Ann, the woman who gave me the interview, adores my photography and has a cat she can't seem to get a good picture of.  She may invest in my services!

So with the excitement of working with the humane society lingering, I looked into my collection of lenses and decided it was time to invest in a new one! Ideally it needs to be a mid-range telephoto (less than 50mm and up to 50mm or more) that has a fast aperture speed and not break the bank too awfully bad.

Here are my choices: 
Nikon 24mm f2.8
Nikon 28mm f1.8
Nikon 35mm f1.8
Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 (non VC)
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8
Sigma 30mm f1.4
Sigma 17-50mm f2.8
Sigma 24-70mm f2.8
Tokina 16-28mm f2.8 FX (full frame)
Tokina 11-16mm f2.8

All of the above lenses are under $1000 (Tamron makes an awesome, brand new 24-70mm f.28 VC that is $1200!!! Which is a touch out of budget!) I'm familiar with Nikon lenses (I own the 50mm f1.8) as well as Tamron lenses (I own a 10-24mm f3.5-5.6 and a 70-300mm f4-5.6 - I also work part time in a camera shop that has a large selection of Tamron lenses). Ideally I would like to stay away from the prime lenses as pets often tend to move closer or farther from the photographer as they play. In the perfect world I would order one today and have it tomorrow! Alas I need to do some more research on each lens to find the perfect fit for me and my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment