About A Dog Photography. Dog photography. The photography of dogs.
Specifically the photography of your dog!


Based in St. Cloud, Minnesota and available to travel to wherever you and your dog are - including the Twin Cites, the North Shore, southern Minnesota...
heck if you're going to Hawaii I'll join you for an exotic beach session!

Friday, July 12, 2013

Fixed Focal Length - 52 Week Project

This week's Beautiful Beasties challenge was fixed focal length. Typically this involves a prime lens (50mm, 90mm or any lens with a single focal length) but we were allowed to use zoom lenses that were "limited" to a certain focal length.

My first thought was my 50mm would get dusted off and be the lens of choice, until I started to think of how many other photographers owned the nifty fifty (50mm). In a Goldilocks and the 3 Bears style I eliminated my other lenses.  The 70-300mm was too long, the 90mm was too stiff, but the superwide 10-24mm was just perfect! I put the lens at 10mm, snagged Bender and headed out to the Bride of Hope in Sauk Rapids, MN. This was also a scouting mission for an idea for an upcoming session.

{A sidenote: for those who aren't of the photography background, a superwide lens is aptly named because at the shortest focal length is very very very wide. 10mm is great for getting the full area of a landscape (keep an eye out for toes!) but often there is some distortion on the edges of the image. Usually the distortion is not very noticeable, unless people are involved. Or dogs!}

Here's the result of Bender and the 10mm "fixed" focal length!



After the 10mm, I snagged some less distorted images with the 17-50mm. Isn't Bender a handsome dog? I love this guy! He's an awesome dog, with some manageable quirks. Oh and he's up for adoption! Until he finds that perfect forever home, I get to be his foster mom!




Heehee drool! Now since this is a 52 Week Project, it means there's a round robin again! This time click over to the talented Sue Collura of the Sue Collura Studio in Massachusetts and see her interpretation of the challenge!

2 comments:

  1. These made my morning! You could do a whole shoot on just his fantastic ears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bender is so cute! These pictures really had me laughing out loud. I love how they turned out!

    ReplyDelete